The Porch Quilt

It's a VERY MARY kind of week around here!

It's no secret I enjoy the sassy and happy style of Mary Engelbreit art--and have for years. This week I got down to business on a quilt using not only scraps but also some wonderful Mary E fabrics from a few years ago. I made 5 tote  bags/lunch bags first and then with my "leftovers" I got started on a truly great project for my 3 season porch.



I have needed a new lap/nap sofa quilt on the porch for a couple years now and finally got to it! This is the year I finish up some of my fabric and sewing UFOs as my regular readers know....Well it was time to work through my Mary E fabrics and this is what resulted.  It is almost a twin size so there is plenty of room to share when sitting watching tv --or plenty of foot-to-shoulder room for one lying down when napping.

It is sewn Free Motion Quilting meander style in the Disappearing Nine Patch pattern which is super duper simple compared to how hard it looks. I love to free motion quilt and if you want to learn, stop by Leah Day's site to learn more. This quilt was meandered about an inch apart but there are hundreds of ways to quilt a quilt with your own sewing machine.




As for the block, in this disappearing nine patch pattern, whatever bold fabric you use in the center block gets cut into smaller 1/4ths and rotated outward. Whatever fabrics you use in the corners remains whole. There are lots of tutorials on D9P quilts online--just Google it. I believe in using what you have in the stash and even recycling cotton fabrics if needed. I used all kinds of red, black, yellow, and white scraps up--not necessarily in her brand line but coordinated with it. Mary's Love, Family, Home fabrics were my focal fabrics and exemplify what is important in life.  I love how this turned out.

This is my 22nd Work in Progress for 2013 and 27th project this year if you count my 5 UFOs completed as well. Many of those have been made for gifts but not this one! :D

It's a keeper!

Comments

Cherry Chick said…
Kathy...How fabulous! Your little ME inspired quilt is just awesome. I've always loved the friends & family print.
Thanks so much for stopping but and letting me know about your post.

´*•.¸(´*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
♥•.*.*.*.Cherry*.*.*.•♥
♥•.*.*.*.Chick.*.*.*.•♥
¸.•*´(¸.•*´♥´*•.¸)´*•.¸
Love doing this patch. Made it in many sizes. Yours looks great!
I love Mary too! Your quilt is beautiful and the amount of projects you've done - even if they are wips...amazing! Way to go!

Popular posts from this blog

A Spiral Christmas Tree Skirt

Paper Stash Storage Solutions: 1- 12 inches of paper

Hall of Heroes dingbats download